If you are still looking for the best microscope for the money but you lack the time to do the needed legwork in order to know what aspects are a must when it comes to a unit of this type, this article should be of great help to you.
Because we know how dreadful going to endless reviews can be, especially if you are a novice in this line of products, we have decided to put together a step by step guide that will help you select the right microscope to fit your needs.
Step one, know the basics
As you probably imagine, there are a few particularities that one should not settle without in a product of this type. For instance, it is crucial that you know the importance of buying an item that has good optics. In fact, you should know that high-quality lenses need to meet the DIN standard or the JIS (the Japanese norm of reliability).
The units that meet these requirements are said to be long-lasting. Moreover, in case you damage your optics if the model that you own is DIN/JIS approved, you will be able to replace them with similar products sold by basically any manufacturer.
Equally important, it might be an excellent idea to know what the term achromatic stands for when speaking about lenses. To put it simply, achromatic lenses are color corrected. Thus, the sample that you want to observe will be visible under the microscope no matter its color.
By settling for lenses that are non-color corrected, you are prone not to be able to distinguish some of the objects that you want to analyze, simply because they have a color that is not picked up by the device.
Moreover, it is a well-known fact that aberration is something that most microscope lenses produce. An aberration is, to put it in simpler terms, a distortion that is produced due to the existence of a defect in the given lens. Although distortion free lenses do exist, they are particularly expensive and are only purchased for laboratories.
However, you should know that the lenses that have been labeled as achromatic have a field of view that is 60% free of aberration. This means that the remaining 40% outer part of the lens is likely to display aberrations. Yet, because you only use the central part of the objective to study a sample, this should not pose a problem.
If you want to invest in a product that allows for only 20% aberration, it might be a good idea to select a unit that is Semi-Plan.
Step 2; decide between a monocular and a binocular device
Before you settle for the first stereo microscope for sale that you lay your eyes on, it might be a good idea to consider whether you want a monocular or a binocular unit.
When making this decision it is advisable that you think about how you intend to use the selected unit. For instance, if you intend to make use of the newly purchased microscope on a day to day basis, it might be best to select a binocular model, as it will prove to be quite comfortable for your eyes.
Yet, if you want to invest in a product that you want to use every now and then, a monocular might be a better fit. The latter models are said to be particularly suitable for children.
Step 3; type of focus
The next aspect that you should consider is the type of focus that the unit uses. From this point of view, one usually has to choose between a coarse focus and a fine focus. The models that use coarse focus require the buyer to use a focusing knob in order to adjust the image.
However, according to the specialists that put together a dissecting microscopes comparison, the latter option is recommendable for students, as it makes the unit easier to manage. Therefore, whenever thinking about buying a new device, make sure that you have this aspect in mind too.
Step 4; should you consider buying a second-hand microscope?
Although this alternative might be fitting to those that do not want to invest a lot of money into a microscope, it might be better that one does not purchase a used instrument if she/he does not know how to assess the condition of a product of this type.
Moreover, experienced buyers recommend that if you decide to buy a second-hand unit you should not, in any case, buy one from a school. The main reason for this has to do with the fact that the microscopes that are used in schools go through a lot of hands and suffer plenty of abuse during their lifespan.
Given the state of things, it is advisable that you purchase a brand new model that is not particularly costly and that can last you a significant amount of time. In fact, as some previous buyers have noted, if treated properly, most microscopes can be used for years on end without experiencing any type of issues with them.
All in all, we believe that the information and the tips that we have shared with you should help you purchase a unit that is both reliable and precise. Our last recommendation to you is that you go online and, before ordering anything, you check to see what previous users of the product that you like had to say about that particular model.